This great day out starts with a stop in the small village of Los Nietos on the shores of the Mar Menor. After enjoying a morning coffee at any of the beach front cafes, and exploring the village with it's beach and marina, make your way to the train station.
Trains run every half an hour from 07.00 in the morning to 20.00 in the evening from Monday to Saturday, so you'll never have to wait long. You can always check out the timetables beforehand. There are 15 stops on this journey along the feve operated narrow gauge line, most of which are at tiny hamlets. However the train does stop at the larger town of La Union which hosts a lively market every Tuesday morning in the streets near to the train station.
The scenery along the route is stunning, as the line passes through the Sierra Mineras. These are a rolling mountain range that has been mined since Roman times, so there is plenty to enjoy along the way.
After half an hour the train terminates in the sub train station (three minutes walk to the main train station) in the city of Cartagena. The main train station is easily recognisable by the 'lighthouse clock tower' that sits on top of it! Across the road is the tourist office, so pop in to collect a map before exploring the narrow streets of the old town, visiting the remains of the Roman Amphitheatre or selecting a place for an enjoyable 'Menu del Dia'. Alternatively walk beside the old city wall towards the marina and then follow our Cartagena city walking route.
Then it is back on the train to Los Nietos and your car. Last year the train journey only cost 2.50€ return so it makes for a really excellent fantastic value day out.
Places to stop during a day out Scenic Train Journey Los Nietos to Cartagena
- Los Nietos Village: charming village right on the shores of the Mar Menor prefect for a morning coffee before your train journey.
- Los Nietos Train Station: trains through the Sierra Mineras to Cartagena.
- Cartagena City: explore the city, visit one of its fascinating museums or have a spot of lunch before returning to Los Nietos by train.
Parking: is on the road and is free, it gets busy during high season so park wherever you see a space!
From here: walk down onto the beach for the promenade and the marina.
Places of interest & ideas of things to do in Los Nietos
- Village Centre: relatively large with a good selection of bars, cafes and restaurants as well as a few shops.
- Beach: long and sandy.
- Promenade: beach front and long.
- Marina: at the end of the pier.
Parking: is in the designated car park area and is free.
From here: there is only one platform as this is the end of the line!
Places of interest and things to do at Los Nietos Train Station
- Journey Information: The train runs roughly every 30 minutes from 07.00 to 20.00 Monday-Saturday. The journey to Cartagena takes about half an hour and last year cost 2.65€ return.
- Feve Website: for timetables and prices visit the RENFE website. The FEVE lines only show if you use the RENFE website in Spanish, so follow the instructions below for the timetable. Click on the words horarios y precios. On the left side you will see a list, 4th category on the list is FEVE, click on this, next click on Horarios. Put Los Nietos (there are 2 other stations in Los Nietos) in the Origen and Cartagena or any other station you want to go to in the Destino. Add the date you want to travel, then tick both boxes that say Buscar Itinerario and Calcular Importe then press Buscar. To find the times of the return the journey click on Trayecto Inverso. To print the page click on Imprimir Resultados.
Parking: you'll have parked your car in Los Nietos and arrived into Cartagena by train.
From here: walk out of the sub train station towards the 'lighthouse clock tower' that is above the main train station, then cross the road to the tourist office and collect a map.
Places of interest & ideas of things to do Cartagena
- Tourist Office: collect a city map, then you can explore!
- Marina: follow the old city walls down to the marina and the start of our Cartagena city walking route.
- Roman Amphitheatre: visit the impressive remains of the Roman Amphitheatre, or any other of Cartagenas fascinating museums.
- Old Town: wander around the characterful streets of the old town to really get to know the city.
- Restaurants: there are plenty to choose from!