- Costa Blanca South
- Costa Blanca North
- Costa Calida
Show Map View
Murcia Spring Festivals
The city of Murcia follows the Semana Santa celebrations with more festivals from Saturday 15th April to Sunday 23rd April 2017. These are several really colourful and enjoyable festivals that run simultaneously! They include the Spring Festival known as the Fiesta de Primavera, the Bands of the Countryside Festival, known as the Bando de la Huerta and the Burial of the Sardine festival known as the Entierro de la Sardina.
There are also several sporting events, cultural offerings and many concerts as well as the 30th International Competition of the Tunas 'Costa Calida'. The Tunas were originally groups of students who played music on the street for money (buskers) during their time at university. Today they wear medieval students costumes, some with capes with lots of badges sewn on, and play mandolins and guitars, whilst singing.
The fiesta has many events and is quite involved, but is well worth enjoying!! It has been declared as being of International Tourist Interest. Below is a simplified version, in English, of the main acts and celebrations. The whole programme including the Parade Routes, can be seen by viewing the brochure at the end, take a look as there is a really useful map and some great photos of the parades from previous years! The main parades are:
- Tuesday 18th April at 17:00 Grand Parade of the Bando de la Huerta (countryside parade)
- Thursday 20th April at 17:00 Grand Parade Murcia en Primavera (flower parade)
- Saturday 22nd April 21:00 Grand Parade of the Entierro de la Sardina (burial of the Sardine
Saturday 15th April
- 20:00 Parade of the Fiesta Queens which joins the Parade of the Antique Cars
Sunday 16th April
- 17:30 Children's Parade of the Bando de la Huerta.
- 20:00 Opening of the Barracas Huertanas. These are specially assembly huts which represent countryside houses and gardens, each barracas offers tapa food, folk music and demonstrations of various traditional crafts. These remain open for the whole duration of the fiesta until 1am every night!
Monday 17th April
- 18:00 Flower Offering to the Virgen de la Fuensanta.at the Plaza Belluga, followed by the Carriages Procession.
- 22:00 Tunas Competition at the Teatro Romea
Tuesday 18th April
- 10:00 Mass in honour of the Virgen de la Fuensanta followed by the Patron Saint Procession
- 17:00 Grand Parade of the Bando de la Huerta, this is of International Tourist Interest.
Wednesday 19th April
- 17:00 Exhibition of the decoration of the carriages to be used in tomorrow's Primavera Parade. The carriages will be in Pza. Hernández Amores, Pza. Esteve Mora, Pza. Apóstoles, Jardín Floridablanca and C/ Almudena.
- 19:00 Homage to the Meat Pasty in the Cuartel de Artilleria where 10,000 free portions will be given out.
- 22:30 Fireworks in the Teniente Flomesta
Thursday 20th April
- 10:30 A 1km Traca (line of day time rockets) in Calle Las Norias
- 17:00 Grand Flower Parade Murcia en Primavera
- 19:00 Presentation of the Sardine in the Plaza Santa Isabel
- 20:30 Parade of the Arrival of the Sardine
Friday 21st April
- 20:00 Parade to the Testament of the Sardine
Saturday 22nd April
- 13:00 Parade of Mrs Sardine
- 14:00 Traca (day time rockets) in the Pza. Circular.
- 21:00 Grand Parade of the Burial of the Sardine, which finishes at about 01:00 after which the sardine is burnt and there is a monumental firework display.
- 01:15 Grand Firework Display
Sunday 23rd April
- 09:00-13:30 Meeting of Naval and Radio Controlled Models in the area of C/Pintor Almela Costa.
- 12:00 Festival of Magic in the Plaza Santo Domingo with free performances from world class magicians.
- 14:00 Closure of the Barracas